LOOKING GOOD Mod Club Classics LP
1. Do The Whoo Pee - Sugar Pie De Santo
2. Whos Been Warming My Oven - James Carr
3. Shes Looking Good - Rodger Collins
4. Wack Wack - Young Holt Trio
5. I Cant Believe What You Say - Ike And Tina Turner
6. Lay This Burden Down - Mary Love
7. Keep My Woman Home - Danny White
8. Checking On My Baby - Junior Wells
9. Wade In The Water - Little Sonny
10. I Got A Woman - Billy Hawks
11. Have Love Will Travel - Richard Berry And The Pharaohs
12. Dont Bother Me No More - Mongo Santamaria Orchestra
13. I Keep Forgetting - Chuck Jackson
14. Make Me Yours - Bettye Swann
15. Tramp - Lowell Fulson
16. Louie Louie - Richard Berry And The Pharaohs
17. Mama Julie - Terry And Jerry
18. Ive Got Papers On You Baby - BB King
19. Parchman Farm - Mose Allison
20. Hole In The Wall - George Stone
Looking Good: Mod Club Classics is a 20-song compilation that attempts to recapture the feeling of a night out at a mod club at the height of the mod scene in the late '60s. The music is a mix of soul (Northern, Southern, and uptown), R&B, soul-jazz, and funky blues that is sure to get feet tapping and fingers snapping.
Almost all of the right sounds are covered, organ-based jazz, blues, rhythm and blues and of course soul - Make Me Yours by Bettye Swann tugs at the heart while there's no doubt what Suger Pie de Santo means when she sings Do The Whoo Pee. Where this differs from many of the Northern Soul compiliations that are around at the moment is in the quality of the selection.
None of these songs were hits but they all deserved to be.
Mod scholars could argue the inclusion of some of the tracks and wonder where some of their favourites are, but the fact remains that this is one darn good dance party record.